Ten Qualities of a Total Winner - The Winner's Circle

Dr. Denis Waitley published his landmark book in The Psychology of Winning in 1979. This book impressed me so much that I began teaching the 10 Qualities of a Total Winner to my students. Usually, when I find a good self-development book or program, I added it to my karate program to benefit my students and myself.

How does it benefit me? Well, by adding it to my rotating curriculum, I review the material on a regular basis, therefore learning and integrating it into my life.

I find the blogging has a similar effect of clarifying my ideas – getting a clearer image in my mind. When you write about something, it’s no longer a idea (read as dream) spinning around in your head until it disappears as a fleeting thought. Instead, it becomes real - a concrete concept.

This blog series is going to talk about how to integrate the Ten Qualities of a Winner into your classroom.

Lesson 1 Entering the Winners Cycle

Earnest Nightingale’s strangest secret states “the fact that we, literally, become what we think about most of the time.” What you “see” in your mind’s eye is what you get. If you believe that you are poor in math but good in music then you are guaranteed to struggle in math class and excel at playing the guitar.

How many of you remember having thoughts of failure right before a performance? For example, right before swing at a baseball or shooting a basketball. Maybe it was trying a difficult karate move or performing at a competition. What happened? I bet it was not your best.

Now, remember a time you felt like you were in the zone and on your game. What happened then? I can guarantee it was terrific.

Who's your favorite sports hero? Do you think they say to themselves "I am going to strike out" or "I am going to miss this shot". Of course not... they're thinks "I am going to hit a home run" or "I am going to nail this shot."

"True Winning is one’s own personal pursuit of individual excellence." Winning is all about your attitude, not aptitude, which means we must see ourselves as winners.

Class activity
Have the class practice a difficult move or combination for their level.
1. Ask the class to think about their worst performance and try the move.
(The students will probably find this fun as they perform their worst)

2. Have the class imagine their best performance. What would it look like? Ask them to explain what their best performance would look like. Then have them practice the move with this picture in their mind.

Homework
Have the students pick something that they previously thought they were bad at and have them act as if they are an expert at it. If you’re teaching children, tell them they are actors playing a part in a movie and need to act like an expert (even if they are not).

If you like what you read or would like to add to it, please leave a comment and share.

To be continued...

Comments