What makes Yahara Sensei a master?

Tom e-mailed a great YouTube video of a demonstration by Yahara Sensei.


The video brought back many memories for me. You see, in my youth as I moved up the ranks, I idolized Yahara. He is a true master! He is the reason that I picked Unsu as my kata for the Ultimate Black Belt Test.


What makes Yahara Sensei a master in my eyes?

Is it his awesome fighting abilities and dramatic performances?
Although I truly respect his abilities, I think it is only the tip of the iceberg.

Is it his performance of Unsu?
Actually, it is something much greater than perfect form that seemed to breathe life into his kata.

Was it his great communication skills and teaching ability?
My Sensei was part of Yahara's organization. When I went to the 1998 JKA world championship, I was fortunate to attend his seminar where he taught Unsu. He taught with very broken English and was difficult to understand. So it wasn't that.


So what makes him a master?

Why was I so captivated by Yahara?
I'll tell you why. You could feel (not see), feel a raw emotion a passion in his every action.

Ever notice when a true master walks into the room that you can feel the energy. I remember Skip giving a similar explanation of Thich Nhat Hanh walking into the room.


How can we harness that energy for ourselves through the UBBT?

First, Train. Training with intensity whether its for 5 mins or 2 hours. Really get into it. Totally focus on the process - dont just go through the motions. Also, try to enjoy it.

Second, Learn. Dont stagnate. Be a forever learner. Dive into the book requirement about any subject that interests you. Books get you into the minds of masters from the present and past.

Third, Hang out with the right people. I really wish that I could go to Thich Nhat Hanh in Colorado. I love to rub elbows with true masters and always hope that it rubs off on me. I feel that all of the UBBT events provided me with the opportunity to walk with giants (yes, I am talking about you) and left me inspired with a new lasting energy level.

Fourth, Live in the moment. I wasted way too much time worrying about things that in the end do not matter much. Haven't you? Meditation helps clear those cobwebs out of your head. Also, be careful about what you watch on TV and keep your viewing time to a minimum.

I cant wait to see you all in Cal!

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate


Comments