How to Get Out of a Mental Slump

Anyone who meets me realizes almost instantly that I maintain a high energy, positive outlook but every once in a while, even I feel a little down – business downturns, pressures at home, money issues can all have a profound negative effect on our lives.

Last week, I was in one of the worst mental slumps for a long time. I caught a bad cold, rental check for my facility was due, new enrollments were down for the month, had a long time student call it quits, etc. Whenever this happens, I proactively work to turn my attitude around as quickly as possible.

How do I turn my attitude around?

Step 1: Identify that there is a problem – You can’t fix what you deny. Admit to your self that your attitude is not where it should be that day.

Step 2: Determine your predominate negative thoughts – Are your debts getting you down? Is your job affecting your attitude? Is it your relationships at home?

Step 3: Think about the worst-case scenario – Ask your self the worst thing that could happen. Many issues that we worry about are not as bad as we think.

Step 4: Do everything to stop the worst-case from happening – If I feel that I need more students for a healthy business, I start prospecting and advertising to ensure that I fill the pipeline with more students. Taking action almost always gives me relief to my worries.

Step 5: Listen to Self Improvement Tapes – I grab my IPod and start listening to Anthony Robbins, Tom Hopkins, Zig Ziglar, and Stephen Covey. For you Frugalist out there, you can get audio books for FREE by using Limewire and listen to the MP3 on your computer.

Step 6: Read Books on the Problems you want to solve – If you have relationship problems, read Dr. Phil books. If you are worried about retirement, read the Automatic Millionaire by David Bach. If you want to create abundance, read The Secret. If you want to become more effective, read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Step 7: Meditation: I meditate daily. During my meditation, I visualize myself with the qualities and life that I want.

Step 8: Fake it until you make it: In my martial arts classes, I explain to my students that to become a Black Belt you need to start acting like one now. If you want to develop certain qualities, pretend you’re an actor and start acting the part now. Before you know it, you will not be acting anymore.

Comments