Super Size Me: Watching your Portion Size

Last night, I watched the movie, Super Size Me. Super Size Me is a documentary by American Filmmaker, Morgan Spurlock in which he eats only McDonald’s food for a whole month.

How disgusting! I cannot remember the last time that I ate fast food but it does bring up a great point about Americans views on portion size.

The fact of the matter is that we eat excessively much at every meal. If you look at the portion sizes at a typical restaurant, they are too big too.

For many years, I have maintained a healthful weight. I can’t say that I always eat the perfect diet but I do careful monitor my portion sizes.

Tricks to Reducing your Portion Size

    Drink water – Drinking a glass of water 15 minutes before you eat helps you feel sate quicker reducing the amount that you eat. Many people do not realize that over half their daily calories can come from drinks especially soda, energy drinks, and juices.
  • Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day – Instead of 3 large meals a day; plan 3 small meals and 2 to 3 healthful snacks.
  • Eat the right combination – every meal should consist of a protein and a complex carbohydrate portion. A protein portion is about the size of the palm of your hand and a carbohydrate portion is about the size of your fist or a deck of cards. 3 times a day, add a portion of vegetables.
  • Resist taking seconds – If you want to eat more, save it for later. It’s better to break that large lunch into 2 portions, one for now and one for an afternoon snack.
  • When eating out split the portion in half – Restaurants typically provide meals that are twice as big as required. I always cut the meal in half and take half home for later.
  • Plan your meals – Think in advance about the 5 to 6 meals a day. I focus on the healthful snacks because most people get into trouble by hitting the snack machines at work.

Well, there you have it. Some of the ways, I manage my portion sizes.

Does anybody have additional tricks? Please share them by commenting below

Comments