I re-started my Body for Life weight training program. Last week, I lifted lightly to prepare. This week, I’ll hit the training a little harder. By next week, I plan to be in full swing.
Our vegetarian son joined us for dinner so we made a full vegetarian meal. This Barley Salad with Fresh Corn and Peas recipe was a terrific side dish.
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (scraped from about 3 large ears)
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas, lightly steamed (or substitute 1/2 cup frozen petit peas, thawed)
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dark green lettuce leaves
- Feta Cheese
In a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add barley and simmer gently, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 40 to 45 minutes. Allow the barley to cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the barley with the remaining ingredients except the lettuce and optional feta cheese. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or so before serving or serve at once. Line each individual serving plate with a few lettuce leaves. Distribute the salad over them. If desired, sprinkle a small amount of feta cheese.