Do-Without Challenge – No Sweets

I wrote this Do-Without Challenge Update on Tuesday and forgot to post it because of internet connection problems.
No, this is not an April Fools joke. I plan to live the whole month of April without sweets – cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. Originally, I was going to allow artificial sweeteners but at the urging of one of my readers, I decided that allowing artificial sweeteners lets me replace all of the sweets with the sugar-free version. Where’s the challenge in that!

Last month, I went without coffee. I decided to stay off it a little longer. I want to experience the combined effect of no coffee and no sugar.

My wife, Ester, asked why I am doing this. Well, first, by announcing the challenge to the world, I am creating accountability. I would wish to fail in front of the world.

Second, Mahatma Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." If I want my students to eat better, than I “must be that change”.

This challenge reminds me of a story about Gandhi. It goes something like this…
A parent asks Gandhi to tell her child not to eat sweets. Gandhi tells her to come back in a two weeks and he will tell her child not to eat sweets.

Two weeks later, the parent returns to Gandhi with the child. Gandhi looks the child in the eyes and says “You must not eat sweets they are bad for you.”

The mother says thank you and asks, “Why did you make us wait a week?”

Gandhi said, “I needed to stop eating sweets myself before asking your child to stop.”

Okay, enough about me. What challenge are you giving yourself this month?

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Comments