Dog Trainer Leadership Lessons

Our son wanted a weimaraner dog. It happens that the pug dog breeder had one and they were looking for a home for her. My son took the dog, Isabella.

We wanted him to be able to bring her over but we were worried about our German Sheppard, Sachi’s aggressiveness towards other dogs. Marge, our pug breeder, is an expert dog trainer and she offered to help me socialize the two dogs.

It took only about 15 minutes to have the two dogs walking together. Knowing Sachi’s history, I was truly amazed sort of like the dog’s owners on the Dog Whisperer. In the hour, she schooled me on the basics of dog leadership. In less than a week, I see a huge difference in my dog.

The amazing thing is that dog’s are a mirror to your leadership skills. If you direct the focus from the dog’s bad behavior to your leadership of the dog, your relationship with your dog changes forever. Ever walk and interaction with the dog is a test of your leadership. If your dog is calm and balanced, you are projecting the correct emotions and energy.

This training was just in time because…

I injured my foot in classes, leaving me with a serious limb. I could not walk the dogs because of the swelling.

What was I going to do? Well, Marge said she walked her dogs on the treadmill. I saw the same trick on the Dog Whisperer. I wondered if I could train them on the treadmill. I knew that if I decided to try it, I needed to follow through or risk making my dog fearful of the treadmill.

I decided to go for it. Amazingly, it took me less than one minute to teach both of my dogs. After the 20 minute treadmill walking session, I found that the treadmill requires the dog to really focus in on walking, therefore, tiring them out physically and mentally. Once my foot heals, I will continue the outside walks, but the treadmill will be a great option for the wintertime. My wife, Ester, was amazed and even found it cute.

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Comments