VO2max Fitness Testing

One of the basic measurements to test our cardio or aerobic fitness level is by calculating our VO2max. The VO2max refers to the maximum amount of oxygen that an individual can use during sustained exercise.

Today, I decided to test myself to determine my VO2max. I found two great resources that provide calculators or calculations to determine your VO2max.

1. Rockport Fitness Walking Test Calculator – I tested myself this morning with this online calculator. Go here to test yourself. This calculator is very easy to use. You just punch in the numbers and it gives the results. You can also use the Goggle Map Walking route link to plan your one mile walk.

2. The Bruce Treadmill Test Protocol – Do you have a treadmill and do not want to go outside? The Bruce Treadmill Test method is just for you. The test requires you to increase the incline and speed of the treadmill at intervals. Basically, you keep going until you can’t go anymore.

This morning, I did the mile in 7:35 minutes and my heart rate was 138 at the end of the test. The Rockport test gave me a score of 64.8 and a rating of superior. In a few days, I plan to test myself with the Bruce Treadmill Test Protocol.

I peeked into my old records today. 10 years ago, I competed on the USA team at the JKA world championship. As part of my training, I went to Long Island University and had a VO2max done at the start of my preparation. I pulled the test results out today. Amazingly, my VO2max was 47.5. I also noticed that my weight was 185lbs (currently ~175lbs). Could it be possible that I am in better shape now?

Well, I can say over the last ten years that I’ve trained consistently. Also, my diet has become drastically better. Back then, fried chicken wings and cheese steaks were typical fare.

Needless to say, I am totally charged up by these results!

Who said maturity doesn’t have it’s advantages?

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com
60situpschallenge.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Comments