Maximum Impact Karate’s Anthology Part 7~ Sad Goodbyes and a New Beginning

This is the continuation of Maximum Impact Karate's Anthology giving a personal history of events leading up to our dojo's 5 year anniversary.

Although Ester and I were excited about the new school, our first year strained our relationship with our old school ~ formerly the Center Club and our organization the American Japan Karate Association.

When Ester and I found out that we got the place, we knew that I’d need to leave the Center Club of Lambertville where I taught. We wanted to give plenty of notice so we invited the Director of the Karate Program, Rob DeAngelis and Ann Marie out to the Porterhouse a month prior to our start up in mid-August.

We told them about our exciting plan and they were excited for us. Since they were getting married in September, I stay on until after their Honeymoon so they wouldn’t experience any staffing issues.

The next day, I received an e-mail from Rob and discovered that he wasn’t so excited about me leaving. He informed me that decisions like this need to go through our instructor, Sensei Safar and that I need to ask his permission to move forward. I e-mailed our Sensei with the good news. He gave his consent and seemed excited or was he…

Two weeks after Rob’s honeymoon, I left the Center Club. I expected a happy send off but instead no one was told. I didn’t feel it was my place to say anything because it could have been viewed as me attempted to steal clients and I wanted to conduct myself ethically.

Leaving all of those great students was one of the most difficult things in my life. A week later, I was asked to return to say goodbye to everyone. I guess they experienced some backlash from me leaving.

Our strained relationship continued until Memorial Day 2005. I was still attending weekly classes on Sunday’s at the new Solebury Club before it moved to the current location. I asked Rob if we could link website to help our Google ratings.

Suddenly, I got a rambling e-mail from Sensei Safar the next day. The e-mail asked me if I remembered where I came from and that I needed the organization or my school would fail.

After receiving the e-mail, Ester and I talked about it and came to the conclusion that our relationship with this organization was holding us back instead of propelling us forward. We were already considering leaving because they would not allow us to make certain improvements to our program because of tradition. Also, it was obvious by the sudden e-mail that people were working behind the scenes attempting to sabotage our success. I knew in my heart that to move forward it was time to leave them behind.

I send an e-mail to Sensei Safar as a formal resignation to the organization.

In retrospect, our resignation propelled us forward and enabled me to expand my martial arts exponentially. Since then, I forged some great relationships with many of the top schools in the country that infused new life into my karate and our dojo.

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com
60situpschallenge.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

Comments