Drawing ~ A lesson in overcoming self-limiting beliefs

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the BrainI always wanted to be able to draw, but I believed that I am not an artist. I’ve always had a extremely left brain/ logical/ scientific view of life ~ no surprise from someone with an B.S. in Environmental Science.

But… I still feel this lingering desire to express my artistic side. Right before Christmas, I decided to challenge the belief that I can’t draw for 2010. What did I have to lose? I didn’t need to show anyone my artwork. The transformation in just 7 days was almost unbelievable.


First, I picked up the book The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I expected this project to take all year and the first step was to educate myself. When I started the first assignment, a self-portrait. I thought “Oh no, this is going to be terrible.”


I was correct the picture was terri
ble and childish looking. At this point, I almost thought it was hopeless, but I forced myself to continue though all the exercises. Since I had a lot of time during the Holiday’s, I got to the final self-portrait at the end of the book in 7 days.

After finishing the final portrait, I couldn’t believe the results. Although the first picture is embarrassing, I am posting pictures of the before and after because the difference is astounding. Remember, this is only 7 days between the drawings and that these were done completely free hand.


I continued to drawing and my drawings just keep getting better. Mainly, the book teaches you to make the switch to using the right side of the brain to draw the picture. It has completely changed the way I see the world now.

This success has me thinking more and more about the hidden power of our right brain. Most of our education trains and develops our left brain and neglects the development of the right brain. I just finished reading, How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day and in 2010, this book inspired me to develop my right brain thinking. So this will become a reoccurring theme this year.


Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com
60situpschallenge.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

Comments