Book Review - What to say when you talk to your self?

 
"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." 
~Earl Nightingale

As part of my year living like a karate master, I am engaging in alot of peak performance mental programming. In other words, I feel that in this challenge physical training is not good enough - how we think and our perceptions become reality.

What to Say When you Talk To Yourself gives you practical techniques and advice on monitoring and changing your self-talk - reprogramming your mind for success.

Most of us engage self-sabotaging and self-defeating self-talk. Unfortunately, these thoughts usually go unchallenged and therefore become our reality. Dr. Helmstetter provides an excellent step by step method to identify these damaging thoughts and replace them with more productive self-talk.

Over the last month since reading this book, I have successfully used it to help me in many areas of my life. The method is very simple. You just create simple positive self-talk statement that you repeat to yourself daily. I found that walking my dogs was a perfect time to repeat these statements. Also, if you catch yourself repeating one of the old negative thoughts, you should repeat your new positive one a few times to counteract it.

Recently, someone showed me an opportunity to offer karate class in the Adult education section of the Pennridge School District Newsletter. At first, I thought of every reason it would not work, but my positive self-talk made me make the call. I found that all my reason for not calling were completely unfounded and we had a terrific opportunity open up for us.

Comments