Patience is a virtue and it’s effective

Last week, we adopted a new dog - a Weimaraner named Izzy. Actually, she’s very familiar to us because it’s our son’s dog. His roommates were complaining about her whining in her crate. In addition, Dan has one more surgery and chemo for his cancer. After the surgery, he’s staying with us while he recovers. We felt that having his dog with us while he recovers would be therapeutic.

We had our dog trainer, Marge, help us get Izzy socialized with other dogs and teach us how to handle four dogs. So, while dog training with Marge, I realized one thing about dog training is that, it really takes a lot of patient.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just to sit and wait until the dog gets into the mental state that you want and then you can continue along your way. My impatience is my own enemy because I am always on the go and want to plow forward.

You know, for the most part, what I do with the dogs is good, but my constant rushed state affects the discipline of my dogs.

What I really love about dogs is that they are a perfect reflect of your current mental state… a perfect measure of your leadership skills. If I am anxious and rushed, they are anxious and rushed. If I am excited, they get excite – dragging me around the neighborhood. Being around dogs most of the time helps me constantly monitor my emotional and spiritual mindset.

One of the most interesting drills, Marge made me do, is giving commands without using my voice – only body language. Amazingly, the dogs responded more to my body language than my voice.

In the end, I found the patience is not only a virtue, but it’s effective too

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Maximum Impact Karate
(215) 249-3532
www.maximpactkarate.com
timrosanelli.blogspot.com
60situpschallenge.blogspot.com

Sensei Talks: Tim Rosanelli

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Comments